Saturday 4 January 2014

Blog Post 2 - Different Religions

Initially, I believed that a Global Citizen would just accept others regardless of their nationality or skin colour. As I continued my learning of global citizenship I realized that a global citizen is someone who accepts others regardless of ANY differences to themselves, including religion, disability or any other quality.

And so I thought about the arguments, disagreements and bloodshed that humans have over their differences. These differences that have separated us and caused loss of life are not just due to nationality, but also includes religion. Many people respect other nationalities but there are still individuals that have religious intolerance.



Whilst reading Yann Martel's Life of Pi, the main character describes his childhood. He was a born Hindu, but during his life was exposed to Christianity and Islam and eventually began practicing all three religions simultaneously. He believed in all three religions in his heart and formed great connections with the communities of all three religions (till they found out at least).

His religious journey begins when he enters a Church for the first time. As Pi was Hindu born, his reaction to a foreign religion is not surprising. A Priest recounts the story of Christ to Pi and he is left in disbelief.

" What? Humanity sins but it's God's Son who pays the price? I tried to imagine Father saying to me, "Piscine, a lion slipped into the llama pen today and killed two llamas. Yesterday another lion killed a black buck...... The situation has become intolerable. Something must be done. I have decided that the only way the lions can atone for their sins is if i feed you to them.
"Yes Father, that would be the right and logical thing to do. Give me a moment to wash up"
"Hallelujah, my son"
"Hallelujah, Father"

What a downright weird story. What a peculiar psychology"

Over the next few days Pi is consumed by the teachings of Christianity and finally opens his mind. He requests the Priest to make him a Christian and it is done. Later on, Pi meets a baker who teaches him Islam.

Eventually he speaks to his mother, " I would like to be baptized and I would like a prayer rug .... I want to pray to Allah. I want to be a Christian". To which his mother responds with confusion and condemnation. Eventually the religious leaders of his community (Imam - Muslim, Priest - Christian, Hindu - Pandit) meet with Pi to discuss his actions and to force him to decide upon one final religion. Pi responds with "Bapu Ghandi said, 'All religions are true.' I just want to love God".

All three are caught off guard by his response and the Priest responds thoughtfully,


 "I suppose that's what we're all trying to do - love God".  


If the humans involved in wars and fights over differences in religions realized this and instead focused on their common love for God, the world would be a much better place. I have decided that each year I will learn about one new religion in detail. I won't necessarily follow it's teachings, but will become a student of that religions teachings for that year.

I am a Muslim.




1 comment:

  1. nano titanium by babyliss pro - TITanium Art
    I want to add some more ideas. winnerwell titanium stove nanobi · I have found this. titanium undertaker nanobrite · mens titanium braclets nanobrite ford titanium ecosport · titanium chloride nanopolyzer · nanocarbon.

    ReplyDelete